The Vicksburg District Library is a Class 4 library District with a service area of 12,238 patrons. The service area includes Schoolcraft Township, the Village of Vicksburg, and Brady Township.
The Library Board of the Vicksburg District Library consists of eight trustees, three of whom are appointed by the Village of Vicksburg.
Trustees coordinate with the Library Director who is the executive officer of the board and administers the operations of the library under the direction of the board. Trustees serve in a volunteer capacity to help ensure the district benefits from the resources available at the library.
Qualifications (as stated in the Vicksburg District Library By-Laws):
Trustees Appointed by the Village of Vicksburg Must Be:
- A resident of the Village of Vicksburg.
- Available to attend the majority of board meetings which occur on each third Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m. These meetings typically last 1-2 hours.
- Available to participate for a two-year term.
- Able to serve on sub-committees as necessary.
- Available to visit the library to sign checks on a regular basis divided among board members.
- Free from personal or political agenda, seeing the library as an entity which serves the citizens of three municipalities for the highest common good.
- A library card holder.
- Should be opposed to censorship and supportive of the principle of Freedom to Read expressed by the American Library Association.
Trustees Appointed by the Village of Vicksburg Must Not Be:
- A relative of library staff or a board member.
- An outside employee or employer of library staff or a board member.
- A volunteer with the library.
- Desirous of the opportunity to seek publicity for any purpose, except the shared purpose of promoting the library.
If you have an interest in serving on this board please call (269) 649 1919 for more information and instructions.