VILLAGE OF VICKSBURG
July 11th, 2023 Job Posting
The Village of Vicksburg is accepting applications for an open position on their DPW team. Starting salary is between $20.00 – $23.00 depending on experience. The position offers a complete benefit package including health, dental and short- and long-term disability. A 401K plan is available with up to 8% employer (With employee 4% 457 contribution), and a 457 plan is available. See additional information below.
VILLAGE OF VICKSBURG
To perform a variety of responsible public works, construction, maintenance, repair and labor activities; to operate power-driven equipment and tools; and to perform related work as required.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Department of Public Works Director or another designated employee.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position but dependent upon the level of skill, ability, and expertise of the individual. They are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Operate light and heavy trucks, snowplows, street sweeper, backhoe, tractor and other contractor and power drive equipment.
- Operate backhoe, tractors, pumps, air compressors, jet vacuum machine, lawn mowers, and other power-driven equipment and tools.
- Maintain sanitary lift station.
- Perform snow removal activities. (Power equipment and manually)
- Perform emergency water and sewer line repair work as required. (24 hours a day)
- Jet, flush, clean, and repair sanitary and storm sewer mains and laterals.
- Build water and sewer mains. Tap and run service lines
- Build, repair manholes, catch basins and other structures.
- Assist in maintaining parks and recreation equipment and facilities.
- Repair and patch streets.
- Assist in maintaining public buildings.
- Repair fences and perform concrete work.
- Install, repair and replace traffic, street and other signs.
- Service auto, truck, general equipment and facilities.
- Perform varied landscaping and grounds maintenance work. Pruning of trees/shrubs; chip brush.
- Perform rough finish carpentry, construction and bench repair work. (Plumbing and Electrical)
- General painting and maintenance
- All types of underground work.
- Expected to deal with the public and coworkers in a courteous and respectful manner and perform duties in a safe and efficient manner.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Reasonable knowledge of work methods, practices and procedures involved in a variety of public works construction, maintenance and repair activities.
- Reasonable knowledge of street, sidewalk, water line, sewer line, buildings and grounds maintenance work.
- Reasonable knowledge of the operation of trucks and other automotive and power-driven equipment and tools.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor under all types of weather and other conditions.
- Ability to prepare accurate records, and read blue prints.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Familiarity with streets and other locations in the Village.
- Physically active and strong.
- Ability to work effectively with other employees and the public.
- Be generally available for off-hour emergencies and weekends on call.
- Ability to work under emergency conditions winter and summer up to 24 hours per day.
- Basic computer knowledge (Hand held for meter reading).
- Good personal hygiene and appearance.
- High School Graduate.
- Some experience in variety of public works equipment operation, maintenance, construction and repair tasks.
- Must possess a valid Michigan Driver’s License. Must be willing to acquire endorsements required to operate DPW equipment.
- Be able to pass physical and drug testing.
- License in water distribution – sewage collection.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK
Driving, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, walking, lifting, reaching, hearing, grasping, typing, finger dexterity and repetitive motions.
Outside work involving frequent standing and walking, includes exposure to cold and heat. Employee may also be exposed to darkness or poor lighting, dirt/dust, fumes/odors, moving machinery, noise, vibration, visual strain, wetness/humidity, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, traffic hazards, microbiological hazards and bodily injury. The work may also expose the employee to unpleasant social situations, significant work pace pressure and irregular hours.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We anticipate conducting interviews the week of July 31, 2023.
Send resume and letter of interest to:
Village of Vicksburg
Attn: DPW Job Posting
126 N. Kalamazoo Avenue
Vicksburg, MI 49097